Sunday, July 24, 2011

farewell

Well, this is my last official post from Africa.  I'm sure I will write much more in the days and adventures to come but it is now time to say good bye.  It still hasn't hit me at all.  Tomorrow feels like just another day of getting the kids up and ready for school but will the added detail of an airport visit.  This trip has been one of the most challenging experiences of my life.  I spent most of my days completely exhausted with kids that wouldn't behave and with volunteers that I had almost nothing in common with, not to mention constantly cleaning up little kid "soosoo" (potty on the steps), bathing from a bucket, and eating some of the strangest food I've ever had (which I've grown to enjoy).  I came here thinking that this trip would be much like the ones I've been on in the past and that I would learn things much in the same way but God definitely brought me into something that was not at all what I was expecting.  Regardless of the challenges, I am so grateful that I have had this opportunity and if I had the chance to go back and do it again, I would in a heartbeat.

Now the challenge is taking what I have learned and bringing it home.  Unlike many of the other trips I have taken in the past, I have no way of knowing what impact I am leaving behind.  I have been so exhausted that it has been difficult to see how my interactions with the people here may have affected them but in many ways I suppose that's a good thing.  Me being remembered makes no difference but if even one person saw some evidence of God through my time here then it was totally worth it.  Coming home now means taking these stories back and following God's direction as to what involvement He wants to have through me.  I have not a clue what He has planned next but I hope that I might be faithful enough to see it come to pass. 

For now, here are some highlights from each day.  See you soon everyone!

Tuesday
Ruth was informed in the morning that she would again need someone to take some children to the hospital so with Auntie Francesca and Auntie Judith gone, I was able to spend the morning taking care of baby Amy.  She is such a sweet girl.  She rarely fusses and is always quiet and content no matter how much chaos is going on around her.
 One of the things that has been a huge struggle for Ruth has been her staff members.  The seemingly spontaneous hospital visits we had been taking were a result of lack of communication from their nurse who told Ruth a day late that one of the HIV positive children had missed an appointment.  Throughout her time at Another Hope, Ruth has seen staff members swindle money, lose her belongings, and simply walk out without ever saying a word.  She puts up with so much and still has such a positive attitude.  I have no idea how she does it.

Wednesday
Wednesday was again much the same as usual.  We spent much of the morning with the little ones while they played in the sand with some beach toys we bought on our trip into Kampala.
That afternoon, we walked up to one of the main streets to look at a few different shops.  One of the things that has been a bit frustrating is that when you go anywhere to buy things, people see that your a Muzungu, assume you have money and up the price.  For example, I bought a basket for 3000 shillings (a little over a dollar) at one shop and when I went to another further down the road, I low-balled the bargaining price and she said she would sell it to me for 400 shillings.  All a part of being a white person in Africa I suppose.  Other than the slightly bad bargaining deal, it was really nice to get away for a while, see a bit more of the surroundings around Another Hope, and buy another apple pop. :)

Thursday
After our successes at the shops the day before, we headed back midday to do a bit more looking around.  I had bought some fabric the day before and found a seamstress who said she could sew it into a skirt (which I picked up this afternoon and really like : )  ).  Judith stayed behind at an internet cafe and by the time we arrived, Ruth had returned with a new volunteer named Andrea who is from Austria.
That night I had the chance to go to Ruth's home to bake a cake with a few of the older girls that live with her (I brought a box of cake mix with me and had been waiting since the first week when I bought a cake pan to use Ruth's oven to bake it).  I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to spend some time alone with some of the older girls. On the way to Ruth's home, I spoke with Bernah, a 19 year old girl supported by Another Hope who is about to start university in the fall and who Ruth said had one of the highest scores in Uganda on a standardized test she took in school.  She said one of the biggest things she needed prayers for was her tuition fees as she said they cost around 900,000 shillings per semester (about $800 per year).  If any of you would be able to pray for her fees and prayerfully consider your own involvement in her funding, it would be greatly appreciated.  It was so nice to get away for a while and spend time with these girls, especially Leticia, a girl I had grown really close with but didn't really get to see b/c she lives with Ruth.  Before I left, we all gathered together for a time of singing and prayers.  While we didn't talk much with each other, it was such a blessing to have fellowship with these girls and to talk with them about the struggle I've had in being the only Christian volunteer.

Friday
Today we again made a visit to the shops along the main road to Another Hope.  We noticed that a few of the kids were needing some clothes and new school shoes so we spent a few hours in the afternoon walking up and down through shops looking for the things we needed.  One of my favorite parts about each time you leave is that when you return, all of the kids come running up to the gate shouting your name and looking for things they can carry back to your room.
Today, however, was one of the most challenging days since I've been here.  One of the girls was disciplined by her mom (and discipline here is very different from home) and when we were trying to put the kids to bed, one of the older girls was bitten on the ear by different girl and fell screaming to the floor in pain.  There have been many trying moments since I've been and it's often hard to understand why they happened.  I think this trip has helped me see in a much clearer way that sometimes our motives and reasons for doing things aren't what are needed when we arrive at our destination.  While Ruth has said many times that it's a blessing to have volunteers here to love on the kids, she also said that one of her greatest needs is discipline for the children, which is rarely given by volunteers when they come.  I'm not the best at discipline myself so this trip has definitely stretched me in that area as well as helping me see that sometimes it's more important to provide skills and services that are needed rather than the ones that you want to give.  

Saturday
Saturday morning started off wonderfully.  After sleeping in until 8:15, I took a bucket shower and walked down to a shop to buy some diapers for Mark to use during his naps.  When I got back, I put a diaper on Mark, walked him around until he fell asleep, and laid down on the floor in my room with him on my chest.  It was such a blessing to just lay there and allow him to sleep.  As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite things in the world is when someone falls asleep in your arms and it was such a blessing to simply be there to let little Mark sleep.
The afternoon again was a bit rough.  My camera went missing and still hasn't been found and on our way to the market, the car broke down in the middle of the street.  Luckily we were able to have some men push it to a nearby mechanic and soon after, Daniel arrived with a car for Ruth drive us the rest of the way.  I then had the next few hours to sharpen up my bargaining skills going through the different shops buying souvenirs and gifts to bring home.
The biggest news, however I am saving for last...Mark took his first steps!!  I was washing clothes with Julie while Mark was standing next to me holding on to a small ledge next to the house.  Julie said that she wanted to see Mark walk so I decided to move him away from the wall to see if he would walk toward it.  I think having food in his hand kept him a bit distracted b/c after standing on his own for a bit (which he has never done before), he leaned forward a took 2 steps!  I thought it was just a far fetched dream that I would see him walk while I was here but I actually did!  Praise God!!

Sunday
The morning began with the weekly church services held in the tent out in front of the home and listening to the pastor give a message on the temptation of Satan and our will to reject it.  After having so many droughts between times of fellowship, it was a huge God send to be surrounded by the children and listen to his message.
That night a couple (named David and Dianna) arrived from Spain so the rest of the afternoon was spent with them as well as the children.  Having new volunteers arriving the past few days has really helped to provide me with perspective and to see how much I have really grown to love this place and these children.  One of the unfortunate parts is that, after being fully adjusted and really getting to know the kids, I am now beginning to see things that I couldn't see before but I am leaving tomorrow and there's not much I can do about it.  I really wish that there was someone who would be able to stay for a prolonged period of time (6 months-1 year) or that I might someday get the chance to come back but whatever God has planned will be and if He wants me to come back, then praise be to Him.  It's also been nice to have so many volunteers around b/c there are so many more people to play with all the kids!
Mark has also taken quite a few more steps!  I was in the boys room with Leticia changing his clothes and she stood him up saying that she wanted to see this walking business I was talking about.  So, I put my hands behind my back so he would have nothing to hold on to and he took 5 or 6 steps until he made it to my lap!  I was so excited. :)

Well, that's about all for now.  As usual it's late and I'm quite tired.  For anyone who is considering supporting Another Hope Children's Ministry, I will be writing another post when I get home to let you know how you can get involved.  For now, I ask that you pray for the funding for a perminent home and their own farm land, for better discipline for the kids, and for Ruth to find the money to pay for her wedding as well as the time to have her own career (these are all requests given to me by Ruth).  I'd also like prayers for the volunteers who will be continuing on after I leave that they may pick up where we have left off as well as that they may come to know the Lord (the latter is far more important!).  Lastly, I'd like prayers for a better, more reliable staff to work at Another Hope as Ruth has struggled for years to find people she can depend on.  Oh, and prayers for safe travels and that I make my connecting flight in Chicago. :)

Thank you again for all your support and prayers.  Your encouragement has truly been what is keeping me going.  I hope you have a blessed day and week and I will talk to you from the US. :)

love to everyone!

1 comment: