Tuesday, July 12, 2011

sights and sounds of Uganda

Hello everyone!  Sorry for the long gap between updates!  We had the internet late last week but the connection was slow and while I was writing we lost power and the laptop died here we are. :)  I have quite a lot to catch up on and not a whole lot of time so I'll try to leave you with the highlights from each day. 

Much of Tuesday and Wednesday was quite the same as our usual days.  Both days I had the chance to walk the kids to and from school on my own which was a welcomed opportunity to take in my surroundings and in a small way, feel like a part of the community.  

Tuesday afternoon was spent playing "school" with Sandra who pretended to be our teacher and "beat us" if we were doing something bad (part of the unfortunate reality of the school systems here).  After we had played with the kids, Francesca and I went on a walk through the opposite side of the village from where we walk the children which was really beautiful.  It's so much more mountainous here than I was expecting so it was such a blessing to see a bit more of where we live.  We ended up getting lost but managed to find our way back on a completely different road than the one on which our journey began.  That night we also had the chance to spend some time with the older children which was also a huge blessing.  Because of their responsibilities here as well as their long 1-2 hour walks to school, we rarely get to see them let alone spend quality time with them and it was so much fun sitting in the dark laughing and helping with homework.
Wednesday, as mentioned earlier, I had the chance to walk the kids to school on my own as Francesca was at the farm.  When she returned, we spent most of the afternoon shucking corn and playing with the kids.  Just before dinner we made our daily run to Little Eden to buy water and Fanta and came back for Bible study, dinner, and washing up the kids.

Thursday I got up bright and early to head to the other farm owned by Another Hope.  This land was absolutely beautiful.  We were up overlooking long rolling hills of palm trees and tall grass.  The landscape is incredible.  Ruth showed me where they kept the chickens that lay eggs for Another Hope as well as the cows that provide the milk for baby Amy.  She also explained that this land was where they hoped to build their purmanent home for the children as they one they are using right now is only a rental.  We spent the morning harvesting ground nuts, which resemble peanuts on the outside but contain purple nuts that taste nothing like them.  I have truly loved my visits to the farm.  There is so much pride and joy in being able to say that you had a hand in preparing the food that you are eating and I think that if I was ever to become a farmer, I would probably cry with joy every time I went to the produce section of a grocery store.  On the way back, we stopped at Ruth's home and it was wonderful to be able to see how she lives as well.

When we returned, we spent the morning removing the ground nuts from the plants we had harvested and eating banana muffins that Ruth had baked the night before.  I was also able to have my first legitimate shower since I've been here which was amazing!  It's funny how simple things like flushing toilets and cold showers have made me so excited.  Then it was off to pick up the Little Stars and back for our usual afternoons of playing with the kids and helping them get ready for bed.

Friday was also another day of being in our normal routine.  Got up, brought the kids to school, stopped at a shop to buy some water, napped, picked the kids up, did some wash, and had an amazing lunch of sweet potatoes, beans, and rice.  The afternoon was much the same as well but with each day being more and more adjusted, the kids become sweeter and sweeter.  I had the chance to talk with Latisha, one of the older girls, which was a real treat b/c she's rarely around.  I really admire all of the women here.  The girls grow up at such a young age and, for having so much work and such strenuous schedules, they're always joyful and looking for ways to help you.  the rest of the afternoon was spent playing the drums with Mark, sitting on the swing with Susan and Mercy, talking with Ruth, and watching the girls pretend to model and take pictures with my camera.  T

That night the pastor came in for an unexpected visit and lead Bible study.  He spoke about the importance of sharing the Gospel and encouraged the children to speak into the lives of others no matter where they go. 
Then we had the amazing dinner of peas, chapati (so good!), and pineapple before washing the kids up, ironing my clothes, and going to bed.

Saturday was a really special day.  About midday, Ruth arrived after spending the morning at the farm and soon after, another volunteer, a German woman named Judith, arrived.  After talking with Judith and eating jack fruit, the we all piled into a van and headed out to visit two children living at boarding schools.  The first was a boy named Allan.  Allan's mother was severely abusive and because of the abuse he received to his head, he suffered from brain damage and now attends a school for handicapped children.  It broke my heart to see him.  He was such a sweet kid who, Ruth said, was so surprised and happy to see us he couldn't even speak.  I can't even imagine what life would be like to not only be rejected by your family but also suffer from a disability and have no means of supporting yourself.  He is such a sweet kid and I can't imagine anyone turning him away.

After visiting and sharing a meal with Allan, we made the long drive through the Ugandan countryside to visit Kathrine, a deaf child who was living at a boarding school for deaf children.  The school was so peaceful.  It was up on a hilltop far removed from the chaos of Kampala and filled with sounds of birds and children laughing (there is something so special about hearing deaf children squealing with joy :)  ).  Because Ruth so seldom gets the chance to visit these children, we celebrated Kathrine's birthday a few weeks early and were able to watch the kids signing happy birthday and sharing the small cake we had brought with us.  The kids were so sweet and kept tugging on our arms to take pictures of them so they could see them on the display.  On the way home, Hajara, who had gone with us b/c it was her birthday that day, fell alseep on my lap.  There is something special about having children fall asleep in your arms.  She slept all the way back on our close to two hour drive back to Another Hope where we ate our spaghetti dinner under the light of the moon and went to bed.

Sunday was also a really special day.  After we the church service finished, Judith, Francesca, and I got into the car and rode with Ruth to arguably the nicest resort in Kampala that sat on Lake Victoria.  It was a weird feeling being in such a high end, developed place knowing the poverty that lay just on the other side of the street.  Over our meal of cooked talapia (head and all) and chips, Ruth expressed more about the political situation in Uganda as well as her personal and financial struggles.  She really is an inspiration to me.  She has devoted every aspect of her life to these children, managing two farms, a shop, all her staff, the volunteers, the home itself, and as we learned today, plans to construct a boarding school for the children.  She said part of her reason for moving into her own home was because she started suffering from stress issues and needed to have her own place to get away (however she still allows 3 of the oldest girls to live with her).  She also talked to us about how the corruption of the government has made it almost impossible for them to continue providing food, let alone save the $10,000 they need to buy their farmland, $50,000 they need to construct their own home for the children, $2,000 they need to renovate the schools they've purchased, and $25,000 they need to construct dorms for the children to live in at the school.  Despite all the obstacles, she still says constantly that it is God who has been and will continue to provide for her and the children and she knows that it will all happen in His time.

When we got back, all the kids came running up to the van to see us shouting "Auntie Auntie!" and we spent the rest of the night playing and laughing with them.  Praise God for finally feeling adjusted!

Monday was back to the same routine.  I've been feeling a bit under the weather so I spent most of the morning resting and took a portion of the afternoon to take a nap.  That night, I was able to sit with the older kids in the cooking area and help them make chapati.  Mostly, I sat and rolled the balls of dough while the kids sang worship songs and talked with each other about their joys in Christ and how they thankful they were for all they had.  I really admire these children. They are all grown up far beyond their years and have so much joy and life despite where they've come from.  They are truly thankful for all they have and they have a deep rooted faith in God that pushes me to be stronger in  my walk.  

One other quick note about Monday.  When we walked the children to school in the morning, we noticed that traffic was much lighter than usual and Ruth explained that the taxi drivers were striking, as they have been for a few months now, to protest the rising fuel prices.  Half way through the morning, some of the older girls who usually don't come back until after dark, arrived at Another Hope, stating that their schools were also striking and that the children were all sent home.  It's so interesting to see first hand how the political and economic situations affect the people here, even down to the children, and how things are so different from home.

This morning I wasn't feeling the greatest when I woke up so I ended up staying in bed and sleeping while Auntie Judith and Auntie Francesca brought the kids to school.  Francesca was sweet enough to bring in my chapati so I could eat it in my bed and after eating, I took a shower, played with the kids, and walked back to pick the kids up from school.  After lunch, the three of us boarded the van with Ruth and drove out to the land and buildings she has purchased to create a boarding school for the children of Another Hope as well as the surrounding community.  We then drove back to the kids shouting our names as well pulled through the gate and played with them before eating dinner and helping them get ready for bed.

God has really been showing me a lot these past few days and He has been reminding me of His love that is worth risking everything for.  God has given me life far greater than any this world could ever offer and it is the least I can do to give Him mine in return.  These children are incredible and it is all as a result of His love which has been poured through one faithful, determined woman who has chosen to surrender her life and give it completely to the Lord.  On our way back from Lake Victoria, we stopped at Ruth's childhood home and church to visit with her mom and brother.  When talking to her brother, he mentioned to us that there are over 2.5 million orphaned children and that even this estimate is probably some 1-2 million away from reality.  To think that so many children are going without food, water, shelter, and love is devastating and after seeing the possibilities of what can happen when someone chooses to make a difference, it is hard not to want to do something more.  Earlier I mentioned that there are both great possibilities as well as great burdens that lay before Ruth and Another Hope as she tries to expand the ministry and better meet the needs of the children.  If you would like to support her and the children financially, you can visit the website (I can't think of the exact link but if you google Another Hope Children's Ministry it's the first website that pops up) or send a letter to my address:  6788 Snow Ave, Alto MI 49302.  If you've also ever considered child sponsorship, there are many children here who are in need of sponsors as well as children in many other organizations (such as World Vision or Compassion) that are also looking for sponsors.  Individually, I'd really like to at least raise the $2,000 to renovate the school buildings that Ruth has purchased.  She said that, God willing, it's her goal to have the money collected before the end of the year but because things have been so tight, most of her current funds are going towards food and school fees.  There is also a great need for children's clothes (age 2 and below).  We spend most of the morning with the younger kids and they're constantly being changed and, for many of them, wearing clothes that are far to big and falling off b/c there just isn't enough clothing that fits.

So as far as prayers go, I'd really like you to pray for Another Hope.  The work that is being done here is amazing it it's far more important for your prayers and support to got to them than to me.  Also, I'd really like prayers for an overall awakening and burden in the hearts of Christians around the world to support their brothers and sisters in need.  We are called to help those in need, wherever they are, and even the simplest act of love will make a lasting impact.  

Thanks everyone!  I have so much on my hear that I wish I could share and I hope that in some way I was able to paint a picture of all that's been happening here.  I've been a bit sick with a cold the last few days so it's hard to get my thoughts to come together.  Again, if you can find it in your hearts to help in any way, I know that I personally would be hugely grateful and I can only imagine how thankful Ruth and the kids would be.  As always, I love you all and I hope beyond anything else that God has been working in your life and helping you grown into a greater understanding of Him (because that's what this is all about anyway :)  ).  Good night from Uganda!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny I just read your blog to Ken, and he says you have your first $100 donation to the School. Your are so amazing my sweet kiddo, Never to be the same again! Love You So much! Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete